We recently renovated our floor by replacing all our downstairs carpets with hardwood. As Winter approaches, it has become very apparent that wood is not very insulating and the floors are now icy cold–not very fun to step on!
While I am partial to socks, I decided house booties might offer a little more protection and warmth. Searching up patterns for booties was frustrating because most of the solid (not-sock-like) boots were all in infant sizes. After some digging, I managed to combine instructions from a video and a child’s bootie pattern to create these!
I am a size 6, and this is what I did using a 6mm crochet hook and two strands of yarn (appropriate for a 5mm hook). For larger or smaller sizes, increase/decrease length of chain when making soles and adjust accordingly (refer to video linked above).
Soles: make 2
- Ch 17, HDC in each st across starting from the second chain away from hook (16)
- In same st, HDC 3 more times, HDC in the other side of the chains of the next 15 sts
- In same st, HDC 5 more times, HDC in next 16 sts
- HDC 2 in each of the next 3 sts, HDC in next 12 sts, DC in next 4 sts
- DC 2 in each of the next 5 sts, DC in next 4 sts, HDC in next 13 sts
- SC 2 in each of the next 4 sts, HDC in next 12 sts, DC in next 7 sts
- DC 2 in each of the next 2 sts, SC in next 4 sts
- SC all the way around TBL
- SS to join and FO (54)
Lining: make 2
- Repeat steps 1-7 above
- SS to join and FO leaving a long tail
- With darning needle, use tail to stitch lining to the inside of each sole piece.
- Attach yarn at heel of sole and ch 1, SC in same st and next 53 sts, SS to join to 1st SC, and ch 1 (54)
- Repeat for two more rows (54)
- SC in same st and next 16 sts, repeat [SC2tog, SC 1] 7 times, SC 16 sts, SS to join to 1st SC and ch 1 (47)
- SC into same st and next 15 sts, repeat [SC2tog, SC 1] 5 times, SC 16 sts, SS to join to 1st SC and ch 1 (42)
- SC into same st, SC2tog, SC 12, HDC2tog twice, DC2tog twice, HDC2tog twice, SC 12, SC2tog, SC 1, SS to join to 1st SC and ch 1 (34)
- SC 1 in same st, SC2tog, SC 10, DC2tog 4 times, SC 10, SC2tog, SC 1, SS to join to 1st SC and ch 1 (28)
- SC in same st and next 27 sts, SS to join to 1st SC (28)
- Repeat til desired boot height (mine was 4 more rounds)
- SS all the way around, ch 6, and fasten to next st to make loop (optional)
The end result is this lovely house bootie, great for lounging in the wintertime! I would recommend adding some sort of rubber non-slip soles to the bottom to keep from slipping. Also make sure stitches are tight and/or use thick yarn for added sturdiness–mine are a little bit squishy, though they still work great for indoor use.